Step by step guide
Elevator for JIRA sends 1:1 HipChat messages. To do this Elevator for JIRA requires its own user to be created in your HipChat instance. Once you create the user you generate an API token and configure Elevator for JIRA to authenticate with the generated user token.
Create a new user invite in HipChat
- Log into your HipChat web portal and select Group admin
You must be an Administrator in HipChat
- Once in Group Admin select Users form the top menu
- Enable the Invite URL and copy the provided link
- Paste this link in a new browser window
Create a Elevator User Profile in HipChat
- Add Elevator for Jira as a user, we suggest you enter the below feilds with:
Create an API Token in HipChat
- Once signed in, go to the user profile by selecting the User Iconon the far right
- From the drop down select Profile
- From the left hand side Account Settings menu select API Access
- From this page enter a label and select the Scopes Send message and Send Notification and select Create
- Copy the created Token
Inserting API Token into Elevator for Jira
- Log into Jira, select Elevator in the main menu
- On the far right next to New Roster select the admin cog
- In the HipChat section
- Tick Enable HipChat notifications
- Api Token - Enter the API token that was copied from HipChat
- HipChat API - Enter your Hipchat API location
If your HipChat instance is cloud based then you can use the default address.
Once Save is selected Elevator for JIRA will test the API token and API location by sending a test message. If either are incorrect you will receive a failure notification.
Setting up users to receive HipChat notifications
Users simply need to have an account in HipChat and for the email address to align to their JIRA user account email address. If so escalations will populate their personal HipChat room.
Now that HipChat is configured you're ready to roll!
Try escalating your first issue, and then you can look at more advanced features including: